About Jennifer L. VanderVeen
Jennifer is a Certified Elder Law Attorney (CELA) by the National Elder Law Foundation and is accredited by the Veteran’s Administration to practice before the VA. She is a member of the Elder Law sections of both the Indiana and Michigan state bars. She is a past chairperson of the Indiana Elder Law section and Past President of the Board of Directors of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA).
In 2016, Jennifer was elected to NAELA’s Council of Advanced Practitioners (CAP). A member of CAP is an attorney who has been nominated and selected by her peers – experienced Elder and Special Needs Law attorneys – to be part of the Council as a result of their commitment and contribution to their clients and the ethical, high-quality practice of Elder and Special Needs Law.
As an Elder Law attorney for Tuesley Hall Konopa, Jennifer counsels clients in the areas of special needs trusts, guardianships, veteran’s benefits, Medicaid benefits, and probate. Her elder law services include:
- creating complex long term care asset protection plans for both Medicaid and Veteran’s benefits eligibility;
- analyzing tax implications of trusts, tax-deferred assets, and real estate transactions;
- counseling clients on fiduciary duties as powers of attorney, guardians, and trustees;
- drafting complex estate plans, including special needs and disability planning and defective grantor trusts;
- completing Medicaid and veterans benefits applications for both nursing home and disability cases;
- managing guardianship cases, probate estates, and trust administrations.
Estate Planning & Administration
In addition to her elder law services, Jennifer provides estate planning and estate administration services that include:
- drafting wills and trusts;
- counseling families with special needs individuals;
- advising clients on benefits and taxation;
- powers of attorney;
- and overseeing the administration of estates.