About Barbara Wells
Barb Wells is an experienced business lawyer and advisor to local, national and international companies, but she considers herself a teacher at heart. "I teach every day," she says. "One on one, whether counseling a client on some aspect of their business or mentoring a younger lawyer. I love the challenge of helping someone simply and clearly understand a complex idea or way of doing something."
Clients seek Barb's help overcoming barriers and taking advantage of opportunities for business growth. She helps clients – including family-owned businesses – with a variety of issues, such as:
• Tax planning
• Joint ventures
• Bonuses and incentives
• Exit and succession planning
• Employment law
• Business sales and purchases
Clients frequently turn to her for help with planning for the next non-family or family generation of owners of a business. She works with clients on:
• Buy-sell, deferred compensation, stock rights, partnership and governance agreements and their tax consequences
• Transitioning to the next generation and considering a sale to the outside world
• Restructuring the business to protect the business owner and the component business pieces.
• According to her clients, Barb provides practical advice in the most responsive manner. For example, she helped a client considering an investment in a shopping center who came to her for advice on issues to consider. In this and other ways, she is an “outside General Counsel” to many of her clients…from start-up, to the day they sell their company.
Professional and Civic Activities
• LawPact – an international association of independent business law firms. LawPact gives Minor & Brown the ability to provide experienced resources to clients on out-of-state, national and international matters.
• Guide Dogs for the Blind – Denver East Puppy Club Leader and Puppy Raiser
• Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce’s Leadership Denver Alumni Program
• Former President, Denver Chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO)
• Former board member, LawPact and several not-for-profit organizations
Barb has received numerous awards from civic organizations including:
• U.S. Small Business Administration
• Colorado District; Girl Scouts (Mile High Council)
• Colorado Women’s Leadership Coalition